Dr Rachael Cordina
Dr Rachael Cordina is a clinical academic cardiologist with a special interest in Adult Congenital Heart Disease. She is appointed as Staff Specialist at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. Dr Cordina graduated from the University of New South Wales with Honours in 2002 and was awarded FRACP in 2009 after undertaking her general medical and cardiology training at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. She received a NHMRC Postgraduate Research Scholarship and was awarded her PhD in 2013. Her thesis, studying important pathophysiology in adults with congenital heart disease, was awarded the Peter Bancroft Prize for outstanding thesis from the University of Sydney. Her PhD research won her the Young Investigator Award from the Cardiovascular Disease in the Young Council at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions in 2012.
Dr Cordina spent 2 years undertaking post-doctoral training in London, United Kingdom as Clinical Fellow in Adult Congenital Heart Disease and Maternal Cardiology at the Heart Hospital, University College and Adult Congenital Heart Disease Echocardiography Fellow at the Royal Brompton Hospital. She has also completed her Accreditation in Congenital Heart Disease Echocardiography through the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging.
Currently, Dr Cordina works in the Adult Congenital Heart Disease Service and Pulmonary Hypertension Service at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in addition to her role in the General Cardiology team. She has clinical and research interests in adult congenital heart disease, pulmonary hypertension, echocardiography, exercise physiology, maternal cardiology and vascular function.
Dr Cordina is also appointed as Clinical Senior Lecturer at Sydney University and currently teaches cardiovascular physiology in addition to her role as Unit of Study Co-ordinator for Cardiovascular Metabolic Disease Management for Masters students.
- Cordina R, Nakhla S, O’Meagher S, Leaney J, Graham S, Celermajer D. Widespread endotheliopathy in adults with cyanotic congenital heart disease. Cardiology in the Young 2015; 25(3): 511.
- Cordina R, Grieve S, Barnett M, Lagopoulos J, Malitz N, Celermajer D. Brain morphology and volumetrics in adults with cyanotic congenital heart disease. Neuroimage Clinical 2014; 4: 319.
- Cordina R, O’Meagher S, Gould H, Rae C, Kemp G, Singh N, Pasco J, Celermajer D. Skeletal muscle abnormalities and exercise capacity in adults with a Fontan circulation. Heart 2013; 99(23):
- Cordina R, O’Meagher S, Karmali A, Rae C, Liess C, Kemp G, Puranik R, Singh N, Celermajer D. Resistance training improves cardiac output, exercise capacity and tolerance to positive airway pressure in Fontan physiology. International Journal of Cardiology 2013; 168(2): 780.
- Golzan M, Leaney J, Cordina R, Avolio A, Celermajer D, Graham S. Spontaneous retinal venous pulsatility in patients with cyanotic congenital heart disease. Heart and Vessels 2012; 27(6): 618-623.
- Cordina R, Celermajer D, McGuire M. Systemic venous anatomy in congenital heart disease: Implications for electrophysiologic testing and ablation. Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology 2012;33(2):143-9.
- Schuuring M, Bouma B, Cordina R, Gatzoulis M, Budts W, Mullen M, Vis J, Celermajer D, Mulder B. Treatment of segmental pulmonary artery hypertension in adults with congenital heart disease. International Journal of Cardiology. 2012;33(2):143-9.
- Cordina R, Celermajer D. Therapeutic approaches in adults with congenital heart disease-associated pulmonary arterial hypertension. European Respiratory Review 2010; 19: 300-307.
- Cordina R, Celermajer D. Cyanosis and the endothelium: Implications for congenital heart disease. Cardiology in the Young 2010; 20: 242-253.
- Cordina R, Celermajer D. Late onset pulmonary hypertension in repaired transposition of the great arteries. Pediatric Cardiology 2010; 31(2): 238-41.
- Cordina R, McGuire M. Maternal arrhythmias during pregnancy and lactation. Obstetric Medicine 2010; 3: 8-16.
- Cordina R, Patel A. Women and coronary artery disease. O&G Magazine, Spring Issue 2008.